The following birthing partner tips are from a group of 15 women who had given birth in the past 2 to 4 months.
- Don’t talk during contractions
- Don’t take anything she say’s personal
- Be gentle, kind and keep calm
- Expect the unexpected
- Don’t talk about food (go for sneaky snacks)
- Keep it light, maintain a ‘can do’ attitude and sense of humour
- Consider ‘back up’ for breaks
- Be involved in creating the birthing plan and be in charge of this during labour
- Be her champion be prepared to ask and answer questions on her behalf
- Know what’s packed in what bag
- Know the breathing techniques she is using and keep her on track even if she has a c-section
- Know that ‘you can’ ask for the midwife to be changed
Birthing can be a magical time – are you willing to be the contribution?
Jayne Micallef | www.joyfulbodyyoga.com